Sunday, February 8, 2015

why I'm not where you are

I noticed throughout this chapter that the idea of nothing and something was brought up a lot, not only throughout Grandpa and Grandma's apartment but when people were speaking and not speaking.

"We talked about nothing in particular, but it felt like we were talking about the most important things" (113).

"The more we took each other's assumptions for granted, the less was said, the more misunderstood…" (111).

"I wanted to call her name, but I didn't want her to hear my voice, all of my desire was based on that one brief exchange" (116).

"I told her how I felt, this is how I told her… I don't know what she thought, I don't know what she understood, or what she wouldn't allow herself to understand" (135).

Quote #1: talk about nothing, but it is something

Quote #2: say nothing, and is interpreted as something its not

Quote #3: say nothing, the possibility of never finding Anna or her understanding what he is saying in that brief exchange

Quote #4: say nothing, interpreted however the other person wants to

All of these quotes express a different type of communication and how they differ from one another. I just found it interesting how this connects slightly to our poetry unit when we had to give feedback. Not saying anything can mean something its not, but saying something that you may think of as nothing really means something to the person hearing it.

2 comments: