Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Jacob's Important Quote

"As for the bracelet Mom wore to the funeral, what I did was I converted Dad's last voice message into Morse code, and I used sky-blue beads for silence, maroon beads for breaks between letters, violet beads for breaks between words, and long and short pieces of string between the beads for long and short beeps, which are actually called blips, I think or something. Dad would have known. It took me nine hours to make" (35).

This quote opens up the third chapter of the book and after I read it a paused for a moment and just thought wow this kid really loved his dad. This quote struck me at first as a very sad thing to be said. Oskar is talking about his dad and the last thing he has from his dad is the voicemail that was sent just  before his death. But as I read the quote again and paid more attention to it I don't think its so sad after all. When he mentioned how his dad would have known the name of the long and short beeps in Morse code, I think he is saying this because his dad has taught him Morse code and in a way this is him remembering all the good times he had with his dad and this brings back good memories. Oskar went to great lengths to make this bracelet for his mother because it helped him to feel better and to think about his dad in a positive way and all the great things his dad did for him.

2 comments: