Thursday, February 19, 2015

Chapter 13

Jacob brought up some really good questions about chapter 13, and I was wondering some of the same things. Why did he not tell Oskar anything? (He wouldn't even let onto whether or not he had any brothers and sisters). Then Jacob asked why the grandpa doesn't want Oskar to tell the grandma that they met. I think he does not want the grandmother to know that Oskar met him, because both of them need the apartment to stay a nothing space. If the grandmother finds out that Oskar knows about the renter, then this nothing space will be ruined, and will be filled with something. One thing that I am now confused about is where the renter/grandpa has been this whole time. How has he managed to stay away from Oskar for 2 years, without being seen or head, especially if Oskar spends so much time in his grandmother's apartment?

One line from chapter 13 that I found really powerful was on page 238. "I asked the renter, "Can I tell you my story?"
He opened his left hand.
So I put my story into it" (238).
I thought this quote was really powerful because we see Oskar telling this whole heartbreaking story about the key, and his father's death to who he believes is a complete stranger. For some reason, I also found it really powerful how instead of Foer saying that the renter said yes, he simply says that he opened his left hand, which we know has YES tattooed on it.

"I couldn't tell what he was feeling, because I couldn't speak the language of his feelings" (239).
I also thought this quote connected really well to our discussion in class about the need to tell your feelings, and how Oskar planned to burry his feelings deep inside of him, because Fo Black is also unable to communicate his feelings due to the language barrier.

Throughout the book, it has become apparent that Oskar only trusts strangers. He didn't tell his mom, grandma, or friends about his dad's messages, his quest regarding his dad's key, etc. So I am just wondering how Oskar will feel once he finds out who the renter really is. Oskar put a lot of trust into the renter, even showing him his dad's messages, but Oskar only did that because he assumed the renter was a stranger. Will Oskar regret trusting the renter?

1 comment: