Friday, February 27, 2015

Essay Areas of Interest

Area of Interest:
Characters communicating through loss and pain. I especially want to write about the Grandfather's decision to isolate himself from other and be alone to avoid experiencing pain and suffering. Although the result of him to isolate himself from 

Opening Sentence:
In Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran, the Grandfather isolates himself behind a barrier of pain and as a result communicates with loved ones through loss.   

Questions:

  • Why does he isolate himself?
  • What Pain?
  • How does he communicate?
  • Who are his loved ones?
  • What has he lost?
Passages:
Pg. 108- "Your mother and I never talk about the past, that's a rule."
Pg. 108- "It's a rule that we never listen to sad music, we made that rule early on, songs are sad as the listener, we hardly ever listen to music."
Pg. 109- "Maybe that was the story was telling myself when I met your mother, I thought we could run to each other, I thought e could have a beautiful reunion, although we had hardly known each other in Dresden."
Pg. 111- "There came point, a year or two ago, when our apartment was more Nothing than Something."
Pg. 111- "I gestured, "I thought this was Nothing,"
 

2 comments: