Sunday, November 9, 2014

End of the Book

"God knows; and He is merciful! He hath proved his mercy, most of all, in my affliction. By giving me this burning torture to bear upon my breast! By sending yonder dark and terrible old man, to keep the torture always at red-heat! By bringing me hither, to die this death of triumphant ignominy before the people! Had either of these agonies been wanting, I had been lost for ever! Praised be his name! His will be done! Farewell!" (235). These are Dimmesdale's last words before he dies on the scaffold. they are very powerful in that he is finally, after 7 long years taking ownership for what he did and telling the town of his sins. Another key line in this reading is the last line of the book that says, "ON A FIELD, SABLE, THE LETTER A. GULES" (241). I have no clue at all what this means but i have a very good feeling that it is important. 


1 comment: